NZ Herald 27 August 1908


Notwithstanding the inclement state of the weather a large number of spectators put in an appearance at Victoria Park to see this match, and although the ground was very greasy some very fast play was shown; in fact, it was the best match of the season, both teams showing good, clean football right through the game, and an entire absence of roughness. Both clubs are to be congratulated on their display. Had Newton won this match it would have put Austral in the running for the premiership honours, but by Eden winning the game they have secured the premiership honours.

Clayton led Eden and Marshall Newton. Mr. Rhoden was the central umpire, Newton led off from the bounce and were not long in raising the two flags, mainly through the efforts of S. Wain, Wilson, and Roberts. Off again and Eden worked the sphere along the gasworks wing, where Cole put in a nice piece of play. He passed Fletcher, who sent on to Frith and Inkster snapped Edens first goal.

On changing ends Eden Changed the ruck, Ernie George taking a hand, and the change made a wonderful difference. Eden soon had Newton in difficulties, the ball hovering round their goal posts for some time, Eden scoring two goals. Newton at last took the oval away, and Roberts from a fine place kick scored a goal.

After half-time Newton got to work with a will and "potted" three goals in quick succession. Frith make a couple of fine marks, scoring a good goal for Eden. Williams from a splendid rush punted the ball through, but for some reason the ball was brought back by the umpire, and Williams given a free kick, and he again raised the two flags. This quarter was the most exciting of the day. Eden had very much the better of the game the last spell. The final result was:

  Eden             9 goals 9 behinds (63 points)
  Newton         9 goals 4 behinds (58 points)

George and Fletcher were the best players on the winning side, and were ably assisted by Clayton, Frith, Nagle, Cole, Welch, and Cairns, while those who did their utmost to avoid defeat were Marshall, Roberts, S. Wain, D. Smith, and Wilson.

3rd August 1908


There was a large an representative gathering in the Federal Club rooms on Saturday evening when the Auckland Australian Football Association's annual dinner was held. The Mayor, Mr. A. M. Myers presided, being supported by the president of the association, Dr. Inglis, and Mr. Donald McDonald, of Melbourne. There were also present the Auckland provincial members of the New Zealand League team, who leave to-day by the s.s, Moana for Melbourne, via Sydney, to take part in the jubilee celebrations of the game.

During the evening the Mayor made reference to the approaching visit of a New Zealand team to Victoria, and wished the members a pleasant voyage and a safe return. He also referred to the fact that there was plenty of room for the three different games of football now played in New Zealand.

A lengthy toast list was honoured, and many kindly wishes were extended for the team's success in Victoria. A musical programme was also rendered, the following contributing items:-- Messers. A. J. Black, Bob Lloyd, Vaude and Varns, R. Eagleton, W. Smith and G. James.

During the evening a number of presentations were made, the principal being the handing over of the premiership shield for 1908 season to the winners, the Eden Club.

Mention was made of the officers of the Auckland Australian Football Association to the generous assistance given by the Auckland Rugby Union towards the cost of the tour to Melbourne.

The Southern portion of the New Zealand Australian League football team arrived from the South yesterday, via the East Coast, in the s.s. Moana, and will proceed in the same vessel to Sydney.

New Zealand Herald, Monday 26th August 1907.


These clubs met on the Domain on Saturday. There was a good deal of interest taken among the supporters of the game, as on the result depended who would be premiers for 1907. Eden won by 33 points to 25. Clayton led Eden, while Wilson had charge of Imperial. Monteith umpired, and gave entire satisfaction to both teams. The match was played in a most friendly spirit, and was a good wind up to a most enjoyable season. The Imperial players cheered the Eden team at the conclusion of the game. During the four seasons the Australian game has been in existance in Auckland the Austral had been premiers three times, this year being Eden's first on top. The champions played a new man in Williams, and in him they have a first-class player, who should be very useful next year. Those who played best for Eden were George, Jones, Fletcher, Clayton and Yule, while for Imperial those who tried hard to avert defeat were Birch, Wilson, Vance, Stevenson, Glenister and McKeon.


These teams met on Saturday on the Domain to decide the junior premiership. Austral won by 12 points to 5. The game was very evenly contested, and it was not until 10 minutes before the final bell rang that Austral gained a lead.